OxBlog

Tuesday, December 10, 2002

# Posted 5:25 PM by Ariel David Adesnik  

IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN: Their names were Edward O'Grady, Waverly Brown and Peter Paige. They were murdered on October 20, 1981. They fell in the line of duty.

As a columnist for Slate has pointed out, the NY Times did not have the common decency to mention these men's sacrifice -- or even their names -- in its profile of Chesa Boudin, the son of the murderers. In my response to the Times' profile, I did not mention their names either, even though I expressed regret for their death. That is why I have dedicated this post to them.

For more information about the heroism of Mr. O'Grady, Mr. Brown and Mr. Paige, please visit the website dedicated to their memory. On it, you can find information about donating to the scholarship fund established in their names.

As for Mr. Boudin and his scholarship, the list of unanswered questions continues to grow. In January 2001, Chesa published a column in Salon lamenting the humiliation of his parents and their visitors. Yes, I sympathize with the fact that Mr. Boudin's elderly grandmother had to undergo an intimate search before being permitted to visit her son. Yes, it is unfortunate that Mr. Boudin's father must be subjected to similar searches after each visit he receives. However, Mr. Boudin does not mention in his article that his family is subject to such treatment because his parents took up arms against their own government and murdered three men in cold blood. While I want to believe that Mr. Boudin has only the best intentions, the disingenousness of his Salon column suggests that his disturbing statements in the NY Times were not taken out of context.

Chesa, if I am wrong, please let me know. I have not done exhaustive research on this matter. I am simply reporting and commenting on what I have read in national news sources. I want to believe that I am wrong.

Special thanks to Linda Cooke for brining multiple articles on the Boudin case to my attention.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home