OxBlog

Friday, July 04, 2003

# Posted 7:31 AM by Ariel David Adesnik  

REFLECTIONS ON INDEPENDENCE: No matter how imperfect our implementation of it, the Founders' vision for the United States of America continues to inspire all those whose struggle for freedom has not yet been won.

As an American, I find few things more inspiring than seeing how the ideals laid out in the Declaration of Independence are able to reach out across time and space, across cultures and religions, to provide consolation and encouragement for all those whose peoples are not yet free.

In that spirit, I have decided to reprint a short message I received yesterday from a friend born in the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire). In the space of a few sentences, he gives life to America's ideals in a way that few of us ever can.
To my American friends,

Happy Independence Day!

I first learnt of this date when I was 14 years old, when the national programme of my country (D. R. Congo) started getting pupils' minds open to world history and geography. In that same year I got interested in the history of the French Revolution. I then realised that peoples of different countries and times have always fought for independence, for self-determination and self-rule, for justice and equality for all, for freedom and for truth. If the leadership and the people are determined, their dream comes true, but if, unfortunately, they have a poor and corrupt leadership their dream fades away and never comes true.

May this day remind you of your nation, its past and present, and of similar fights and struggles in various parts of the world.

Peace to you all!

MK
Well said. Happy July 4th!
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home