OxBlog

Friday, January 02, 2004

# Posted 12:48 PM by Ariel David Adesnik  

A HONEYBELL CAVEAT: BE writes that
I spent a short period of my youth living in Florida, and "Honeybells" are essentially just one of a number of types of citrus fruits in the "tangelo" family - hybrids of tangerines and grapefruit. I remember eating my first tangelo 20+ years ago when I was just a kid, and it spoiled my taste for oranges - I used to pine for them when we moved back to Illinois.

The "Honeybell" variety is generically known as a minneola, and they are now widely available at most US supermarkets in the late fall through early spring. Once you've eaten a minneola, it's hard to ever think about eating a regular orange again. They are somehow "orange-ier" than real oranges - the flavor is out of this world.

Minneolas are also grown in South America now, so there is sometimes a second season for them in late spring/early summer. Minneolas and Honeybells are identical - you don't have to buy them from Cushman's. Both my kids (6 and 4) eagerly anticipate when "the minneolas come back".
BE also points out that evertyhing you wanted to know about Tangelos can be found right here.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home