OxBlog

Thursday, January 22, 2004

# Posted 1:26 AM by Ariel David Adesnik  

NYT COLUMNIST WHORING IN CAMBODIA: Nick Kristof writes
I put out the word that I wanted to meet young girls and stayed at the seedy $8-a-night Phnom Pich Guest House.
In his next column, Kristof writes that
After I decided to buy the two teenage prostitutes, as recounted in my column on Saturday, I swore them to secrecy for fear that the brothel owners would spirit them away.
Did I mention that Kristof has photos of the girls up on the NYT website?

Now, as you might have guessed, I've taken Kristof's quotes ridiculously out of context. As you also might've guessed, Kristof was in Cambodia investigating modern-day slavery, which often takes the form of forced prostitution. While Kristof's approach is unconventional, I think it pays off both in terms of dramatic effect and in terms of understanding the problem.

Incidentally, it must've been pretty funny when Kristof told his wife that his upcoming business trip consisted of spending time with underage hookers. On the bright side, if that's what you tell your wife, she probably won't worry about what your going to do with your free time in Phnom Penh.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home