OxBlog

Friday, July 23, 2004

# Posted 10:50 PM by Ariel David Adesnik  

UNCOMMON SENSE: As I mentioned before, I'm in the midst of reading Thomas Paine's classic treatise, and so I thought I would share some of the more interesting parts.  This is from Chapter One:
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil...

In order to gain a clear and just idea of the design and end of government, let us suppose a small number of persons settled in some sequestered part of the earth, unconnected with the rest, they will then represent the first peopling of any country, or of the world.

In this state of natural liberty, society will be their first thought.  A thousand motives will excite them thereto; the strength of one man is so unequal to his wants, and his mind so unfitted for perpetual solitude, that he is soon obliged to seek assistance and relief of another, who in his turn requires the same.
Thanks to my deficient knowledge of the Englightment, Paine's emphasis on the human need for companionship strikes me as quite interesting.  From my cursory reading of Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau, I have the sense that in their states of nature, man has no inherent desire to interact with his fellow human beings.  Instead, their is only fear.
 
I also find it interesting that there are apparently no women in the state of nature, even according to Paine.  The omission is somewhat disturbing since, after all, there would be no man in the state of nature if not for the man and woman who gave him life and then protected him while he was a child.

If I had time to read books not about American foreign policy, I think I'd try to figure out where the whole state-of-nature idea came from.  Is it a derivative of the Garden of Eden stories in the Bible?  If so, why are there only Adams in the state of nature and no Eves? 

So many questions.  So little time.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home