OxBlog

Monday, September 12, 2005

# Posted 2:34 PM by Patrick Belton  

JOHN ROBERTS CONFIRMATION HEARINGS: It's possible to watch the first day's opening statements live on the Washington Post website, or alternatively on C-Span. The San Fran Chronicle has a hearings users' guide.

NYT has a transcript of his opening statement, for those of you who don't like to watch. The money bits, promising judicial humility and an open mind before legal argumentation: 'Mr. Chairman, I come before the committee with no agenda. I have no platform. Judges are not politicians who can promise to do certain things in exchange for votes. I have no agenda but I do have a commitment. If I am confirmed, I will confront every case with an open mind. I will fully and fairly analyze the legal arguments that are presented. I will be open to the considered views of my colleagues on the bench. And I will decide every case based on the record, according to the rule of law, without fear or favor, to the best of my ability. And I'll remember that it's my job to call balls and strikes and not pitch or bat.'

I'm looking forward to reading what Tom Goldstein says about the ensuing hearings over at SCOTUSBlog; I haven't been able to open it, but that's possibly just because other brilliant souls had the same idea. [UPDATE: It's working now. Guess all those 0s and 1s just had to climb the mountain.]
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home