OxBlog

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

# Posted 11:09 AM by Patrick Belton  

ORWELLIA: Over a tea-break, dissertation writing being in this a pursuit not unlike cricket, I picked up the copy of Bernard Crick's Life of Orwell which my secondhand bookstore had just posted over to me from England. I was particularly entranced by this account of young Eric's first word:
Monday, 6 February: Baby not at all well, so I sent for the doctor who said that he had bronchitis ...
Thursday, 9 February: Baby improving every day now.
Saturday, 11 February: Baby much better. Calling things 'beastly'.
From there to 1984, perhaps, only a matter of distance, not degree.
(1) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments:
I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue once did an entire round on Famous (if too good to be true) First Words....
 
Post a Comment


Home