OxBlog

Wednesday, May 14, 2003

# Posted 1:46 PM by Ariel David Adesnik  

ROUGH CHILDHOOD: Earlier today, I mentioned an article from the April 1978 issue of Foreign Affairs. While looking over the table of contents, I happened to notice that there was an article entitled Technology and the Military Balance by Col. Richard Head.

Presuming this is not a hoax, I would like to extend my sympathy to the Colonel for the rough childhood he most assuredly had to endure.

UPDATE: Foreign policy professional BD reports that
I can attest to the fact that Colonel (General, when I met him) Richard Head exists. I met him at a Superbowl party on a military base in Vicenza, Italy sometime in the mid-eighties (the Redskins were in it, that's all I remember), and he introduced himself and then told everyone, "please, please call me Dick!" I swear this is true.
I wonder what his wife calls him?

UPDATE: While you might not guess it from a post about a man named Richard Head, this is a family blog. But it is. In fact, BD's mother has written to say that
"I knew Gen. Richard Head when he was the Commanding General of 5 ATAF, an Air Force Group in Vicenza, Italy in th 80's. He really exists."
Sadly, it also seems that condolences to Gen. Head for the loss of his wife are in order. As such, I feel like a pretty big heel, given the question at the end of the last update. You know, I once had a girl friend who warned me about making fun of people's names. I guess I should've listened to her.
(1) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments:
I was a field wireman in A Battery, 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment from 1988-1990. My commanding officer's name was Capt. Richard Head. He was a tall black man, very studious, absolutely no sense of humor at all (as expected). If only I'd been around when he made Mojor... :)
 
Post a Comment


Home