OxBlog

Thursday, September 11, 2003

# Posted 12:13 AM by Ariel David Adesnik  

SHOW ME THE MONEY: In my last post on going to the UN for help, I asked whether other nations would actually contribute a substantial number of troops to the occupation even if there were another UN resolution. But I forgot to ask whether the French or anyone else would provide the financial aid that the Bush administration seems to be looking for.

On this one, I think Josh Marshall is right. Why the hell would any of the governments we antagonized decide to pony up? Does the Bush Administration really expect all that much help? At what price? So I'm still thinking what I was yesterday morning:
What I want to know is whether the Bush Administration has suggested approaching the UN because it knows that it can work out a good deal, or whether its own deficient planning has resulted in the sort of confused and ad hoc decisionmaking that the Bush campaign once identified as the cause of Clinton's foreign policy troubles.
I guess the only silver lining here is that the US can cover the financial costs of the occupation if we so choose. After all, there are plenty of tax cuts just waiting to be rescinded...

ALSO: Marshall is right that Donald Rumsfeld is a schmuck.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home