OxBlog

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

# Posted 9:42 PM by Patrick Belton  

CATCHING UP ON MY HOLIDAY BACKLOG OF FUNNY STORIES: So on New Year's Eve, having just gotten back into New York after a 30-hour journey from Alaska, I headed straight to Chelsea, to join my buddies (and fellow New Haven exiles amidst the blogosphere) Josh Cherniss and Jacob Remes for caffeination in the environs of a fairly esoteric combination coffee shop/deli/antique store. After a few minutes, I decided that I wanted to eat more than peanuts that day (do follow that link), so I went up to the counter, and, relishing being back on Manhattan island and the ground zero of Western Civilization, triumphantly ordered a bagel with lox and cream cheese. What I got was about four dollars cheaper - a bagel with lots of cream cheese. Much more than a schmear, in fact (the precise quantum, of course, of cream cheese to be applied to a bagel of an ordinary size). Mental image: think Big Mac, with cream cheese in place of the meat. I should note that, at this point, Josh noted my pitifully crestfallen look and decided to personally instantiate another yiddish word: yes, greater love hath no man, that he lay down his lox for his friend. So all lox is well that ends well.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home