OxBlog

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

# Posted 1:46 AM by Ariel David Adesnik  

NEW JERSEY VS. IOWA, THE REMATCH: My friend from Chicago seemed to have discovered a chip on the collective New Jersey shoulder. JM writes that
I can see how your friend came to the conclusion that
Iowa was the New Jersey of the midwest. A few quick facts seem to bear this out:

Population per sq. mile:
Iowa: 52.4 N.J: 1,134

Hispanic
Iowa: 2.8 N.J.: 13.3

Foreign-born
Iowa: 3.1 N.J.: 17.5

Black
Iowa: 2.1 N.J.: 13.6

White
Iowa: 93.9 N.J.: 72.6

Asian
Iowa: 1.3 N.J.: 5.7

Clearly your friend has spent a lot of time in both
states.

Sincerely,
A baffled NJ resident
Actually, my friend spent the first 18 years of his life in New Jersey and is fully aware of its ethnic diversity. What his comment was really driving at is the fact that both Iowa and New Jersey natives are almost magnetically drawn to the nearby metropolises of Chicago and New York. On a related note, MH writes:
Hey! Hey!

My grandparents were from Iowa and I'm in NJ, so you insulted me twice! :-)
OxBlog didn't mean to offend anyone. I've got lots of friends from New Jersey and a select few from Iowa (including the fabulous PH -- you go girl!). On the other hand, I won't be moving to Des Moines or Newark anytime soon...
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home