OxBlog

Friday, August 20, 2004

# Posted 8:42 AM by Patrick Belton  

CONFESSIONS OF A BOOKER PRIZE JUDGE: Novelist Tibor Fischer provides an insight into Booker judging:
[J]udging isn't that hard. Only a few key questions ought to be weighed up. Is this novel written by a friend of mine? A good friend of mine? What could they do for me in the future? Would they deliver? Isn't this novel by that reviewer who panned my last book?

And as for sleaze or corruption, what I'd like to know is: where are they? My offshore bank account is in a consumptive state. I haven't even had a free lunch, let alone the suggestion of a holiday. The most damning charge I can make against British publishers is that no one has tried to nobble me.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home