OxBlog

Monday, December 29, 2003

# Posted 2:31 PM by Ariel David Adesnik  

BEST OF THE SILVER SCREEN: As a curmudgeonly foe of Hollywood excess, I tend to post film reviews only when I think that popular movies suck. But there are plenty of movies I do enjoy from beginning to end, so here is a salute to two of them that debuted in 2003.

First, Pirates of the Caribbean. There are of lot of films with brilliant special effects and immaculate historical settings. But Pirates stands out from all the rest because Johnny Depp turns in one of the great comedic performances of our time.

Second, Finding Nemo. Another triumph for Disney & Pixar. While other studios struggle to find human actors with real emotions, Disney & Pixar give us fish who express complex thoughts and emotions in language simple enough for children to understand.

For more on the best of Hollywood in 2003, check out this essay by the NYT's A.O. Scott, as well as the attached Top 10 lists by each of the Times' film critics. More amusing, however, is the NYT critics discussion of the worst films of the year.

All in all, I think the three NYT Top 10 lists are pretty good. Naturally, I wish I'd had the chance to see all of the films that Mitchell, Scott, and Holden did. If I went to theater every night instead of once a month, there might be more favorites on my list.
(1) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments:
Great Article.. Completely agree with the flow. Thanks for sharing. I am sure other too would benefit from it. Cheers…!!!
KrazyMantra IT Services
IT Services In Ahmedabad
 
Post a Comment


Home